In our last Communion Sunday in October, the Word of the Lord to us was: But You Have An Anointing.
God has anointed, empowered, equipped and enabled us to BE what He wants to be and DO what He wants us to do.
In short, we have No Excuse not to rise up and shine for Jesus anywhere and everywhere that He has placed us or positioned us.
His follow up message to us today on this Communion Sunday is Staying Connected To Jesus
In order for you to stay, walk and function in this anointing, you must stay connected to Jesus at all times.
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me (abide and joined with me) and I in you (in an intimate relationship), you will bear much fruit; apart from me (if you cut off this vital union with me) you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a (broken off) branch (deadwood) that is thrown away and withers (and dies); such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you (if you are vitally united with me and my word lives in you), ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you (it will be acted on and your prayers will be answered). (John 15:5-7)
I. The REASON - Why Must We Stay Connected to Jesus?
1. He is the VINE, we are the branches
- to grow in His grace;
- to maintain a close and intimate relationship with Him;
- to give attention to Him;
- to be totally dependent on Him
He is the SOURCE of everything good. He is the SOURCE of our
- salvation and spiritual life
- love, joy and peace
- power, strength and sustenance
- wisdom and understanding
- productivity and fruitfulness
- blessings and miracles, etc.
Acts 17:28 - In Him we live and move and have our being
- Without Him, we can do nothing, and we are nothing.
- Branches die when they not connected to the plant
- No connection = no relationship
2. He is our EXAMPLE of utter dependence on God
19 Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. (John 5:19-20)
By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me. (John 5:30)
Through His example, He showed us how the life of God could be lived through Him in His humanity. Likewise, when we stay connected to Jesus and are totally dependent of Him, He can live His life in us and through us. We can draw on His strength and power to live for Him and shine for Him
Result: He will receive all the glory and honour.
3. He is the PRODUCER of good fruit and much fruit in our life
He will cause us to be fruitful and productive – in life, word and deed
If we abide in Him, we will abound in love for others, and advance with power to pray, give, evangelize and do good deeds – for His glory and honour.
II. The GAIN – What Are The Benefits Of Staying Connected to Jesus?
When we abide in Him and His Words:
1. Our PRAYER will be effective and be answered
"If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you shall ask what you will and it shall be done unto you." (John 15:7)
- We will pray according to His will, His desires, His purposes
- We will pray with expectation
- We will see and experience signs, wonders and miracles
2. Our STRENGTH will increase
“I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.” (1 John 2:14)
- We are not weaklings.
- We are overcomers.
If God is for us, who can be against us? (Romans 8:31)
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. (Romans 8:35, 37)
3. Our FAITH will increase
"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Romans 10:17)
We will trust God and His promises
4. Our DESIRE for holy living is possible
“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:11)
We will stay away from sin
III. The MANNER – How to Stay Connected to Jesus?
To stay connected, we must:
1. Agree with Jesus’ statement
- “Apart from Me, you can do nothing.”
- Be Submissive
2. Acknowledge your need of Him
3. Apportion time for Him
- Be Faithful
- Maintain your daily devotion - prayer, bible reading, studying, meditating, etc
4. Appreciate His kindness, goodness, mercy and blessings
5. Appropriate His power to do exploits
- Be Sensitive and Obedient
6. Apply this truth by helping the needy
- Be Generous and Willing
- Help the needy – go above and beyond in generosity, near and far, especially those whom the Lord will bring across your path
God looks for much fruit in our lives
He removes the branches that bear no fruit
He prunes the branches that bear fruit – to be more fruitful
This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. (John 15:8)
John 15:5 - Without Him, we can do nothing
- to save ourselves
- to save others
- to stay alive – physically and spiritually
- to enter the kingdom of God and heaven
Jesus said to His disciples, "You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and ordained you that you should bring forth fruit, and that your fruit might remain, that whatsoever you shall ask the Father in My name, He may do it." (John 15:16)
Don’t let the devil, anyone or anything distract you and draw you away from Jesus. If you leave Him and choose not to stay connected to Him, you will wither away and die spiritually – becoming useless, unproductive and unfruitful.
Come back to Him; Draw close to Him; Acknowledge your need of Him; Stay connected to Him
Let nothing break the bond between you and your Lord.
Stay Connected To Jesus – Your Source Of Everything Good!
In Him you live and move and have your being. Amen.