I. “God With Us” – A Precise Word to Judah
- A sure, certain, positive, promised word
- God doesn’t beat around the bush
- He gives a straight-cut word of assurance
God’s Word to Ahaz (Isa 7:4):
- Be careful and keep calm
- Don’t be afraid and do not lose heart
God’s Sign to Ahaz:
“14 … The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste.” (Isa 7:14-16)
God’s Plan to Ahaz: Trust Me and Fear Me
God’s Promise to Ahaz: I WILL BE WITH YOU
King Ahaz’s Response:
- Rejected God’s counsel
- Rebelled against God
- Remained proud, stubborn and unfaithful
- Trusted man rather than God
- Feared man rather than God
Result: He lost his throne and his little kingdom.
II. “God With Us” – A Promised Word to the Jews
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”). (Matthew 1:22-23)
- What God said was fulfilled and done when Jesus came in bodily form
- There was hope for them and their struggles
- God was and is with them through Jesus
- Many believed in Him and chose to trust and fear God and follow His ways
- Many also rejected and despised Him
III. “God With Us” – A Personal Word to Us
“… and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20b)
- He is still working in us and with us to fulfil His will and accomplish His purposes.
- He will finish the good work He has started in you
- He will keep His promise to be with you always as you yield yourself to Him.
Will you humble yourself before Him and submit to His Lordship?
Will you trust Him and accept His will for your life and follow His plan?
What will your response be to Jesus this Christmas?
1. Acknowledge your need of Him.
2. Believe that Jesus came to die on the cross for your sin.
“16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” (John 3:16-17)
3. Commit your life to Him.
4. Determine to live a holy life pleasing to Him.
Trust God and His Promises.
He promised never to leave us nor forsake us.
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
His precise, promised, and personal word to you is: I Will Be With You